Thursday, January 19, 2012

Paula Deen On 'The Chew': Star Talks Diabetes, Pharma Deal And Eats Birthday Cake (VIDEO)

Paula Deen On 'The Chew': Star Talks Diabetes, Pharma Deal And Eats Birthday Cake (VIDEO)


I feel sorry for Paula Deen -- her announcement of her Type 2 diabetes condition should have netted her some sympathy but the backlash has been relentless and a bit mean-spirited.


Granted, she hid her condition from her viewers and only disclosed it when she had inked a deal on a Big Pharma drug endorsement. The conflict of interest and her lack of candor in continuing to tout fat and sugar laden recipes to her adoring fans at a time when she could have used her Type 2 diabetes condition as a teaching moment for promoting healthy eating and living is inexcusable!


I am not a Paula Deen fan. I have a hard time watching Paula's cooking shows on Food TV. Cooking with a whole stick of butter is just not very appealing to me. It just makes me cringe! I still rooted for Paula's success because she is a nice lady and pulled herself up by her bootstraps and raised two sons by herself!


Despite our misgivings, we have no right to be so self righteous in judging her so harshly because nobody is perfect. I wish Paula the very best with her health and hope that her viewers learn more about diabetes, getting tested for the condition, eating well and taking good care of themselves.


Type 2 diabetes is one of thee leading causes of disability and death in the United States. If it’s not controlled, diabetes can cause blindness, nerve damage, kidney disease, and other health problems. This is what the experts suggest:


Eating healthy foods can help you:
  • Control your weight
  • Lower your blood pressure
  • Lower your cholesterol
  • Prevent or delay type 2 diabetes
Choose foods low in fat, cholesterol, and salt. Try these tips to:
Print out this list of questions, and take it with you the next time you visit the doctor.
  • Am I at risk for type 2 diabetes?
  • Does my weight put me at risk for diabetes?
  • Are there any warning signs of diabetes I should look out for?
  • How can I find out if I have diabetes?
  • What should I eat to prevent or delay diabetes?
  • How much physical activity should I do to prevent or delay diabetes?
  • If I’m overweight, how many pounds do I have to lose to prevent or delay diabetes?
  • What are healthy ways to lose weight and keep it off?
  • What are my blood pressure numbers and cholesterol levels? What should they be?
  • Do my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers put me at risk for diabetes?
  • Can you give me information about preventing diabetes to take home?
For more information on lowering your risk for Type 2 diabetes, visit:
Source: http://www.healthfinder.gov/prevention/category.aspx?catId=10



Disclaimer: The statements regarding the nutritional and medicinal properties of the various foods have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These items are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your own physician for guidance regarding your health and nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please feel free to leave a comment, and do visit often and share the link to the blog!