Sunday, May 13, 2012

How to pick, cut, use, and eat Aloe Vera!


How to pick, cut, use, and eat Aloe Vera!

Deutsch: Echte Aloe (Aloe vera)
Deutsch: Echte Aloe (Aloe vera)
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I purchased an Aloe Vera plant from Home Depot's indoor plant section. I nurtured the plant indoors until I got some really good growth!


Unfortunately when I tried to remove one leaf I ended up cutting off most of the leaves in the middle leaving only two leaves on the base! No problem -- I thought -- "I will just fillet and eat them"! Wrong numberThe inner fillet was so bitter -- I almost gagged! 


I decided to just fillet all the leaves and use them topically. Only problem was that I started to itch a bit when I rubbed the inner side of the leaf on my skin. I knew I had to be doing something wrong so I decided to search for a good video on how best to pick, cut, use, and eat Aloe Vera.


Next time I will pick the leaves for my smoothie when they are nice and round! By the way -- my Aloe Vera plant just sprouted new leaves in the middle so the plant is quite hardy and will rejuvenate without much effort! Also, I  used a potato masher to mash up some of the raw fillet for topical use, and froze the rest for use later. You can also use a blender  but it is too much effort to clean up later! I just go with the easiest approach as long as it works! I hope that it will work for you too.


Here is a video from YouTube that describes how to pick an Aloe Vera leaf and what part is edible. Please click to view the video!





Disclaimer: The statements regarding the nutritional and medicinal properties of the various foods have not  been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These items are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult your own physician for guidance regarding your health and nutrition.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please feel free to leave a comment, and do visit often and share the link to the blog!